Accessibility Statement

Children Missing Education (and international new arrivals)

Children Missing Education

Children Missing Education (CME) refers to children of compulsory school age (those aged 5 or over) who are not on a school roll and who are not receiving a suitable education otherwise (e.g. privately, electively home educated (EHE) or in alternative provision).

CME is different to children missing or absent from home or care or non-attendance at school. To view more information about children who are not attending school missing education click here.

To view more information about school absence click here.

For information about children who are on roll at a school but are refusing (sometimes referred to as school refusal) to attend, please go to this Local Offer page.

Kirklees Council has a responsibility to identify any child or young person who is missing from education to ensure that every child and young person has the opportunity to fulfill their potential and that they receive the universal services to which they are entitled to.

Children Missing Education can be linked to (but not always) concerns about safeguarding, health, domestic violence, forced marriage, child sexual exploitation, child trafficking, female genital mutilation or behavioural issues.

It is the responsibility of all partner agencies such as schools and health services to act when they are aware of or believe that a child is missing from education. Reasonable enquiries should be made in the first instance and as much basic information should be collated as possible including names, addresses, contact details, emails, details of other family members, friends, etc. before notifying the local authority by completing the education safeguarding referral form here.

It is your responsibility as a parent or legal guardian to ensure your child receives a full-time education that meets their needs (for example if they have special educational needs). You can send your child to school or Elective home education.

Children must be provided with an education between the school term after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 16.

You should make all efforts to continue to send your child to their existing school until the day they can start in the new one. If this is not possible, you should ensure that your child continues to be educated during the period they are not enrolled at a school.

You will need to provide confirmation to the existing school as to the arrangements you will put in place to ensure this happens.

The existing school will also refer the child to the Education Safeguarding Service who will ensure you are contacted in order to discuss the support you intend to obtain to make this happen.

If the decision has been made to move school, then it is requested that parents download and complete the  application form for In-Year admissions, in order to apply to transfer from the current school to a new one.

If your child has an EHCP please see this page about moving schools if you have an EHCP

Transfer of school should ideally be planned to coincide with the house move. If this is not possible, all efforts should be made to continue to attend the existing school until the start date for the new school.

In order to safeguard children and ensure education is available, the Education Safeguarding Service accept referrals from schools, other professionals, members of the public and parents of children who are still on roll at a school but may soon be missing education for one reason or another.

Parents can also speak with YoungMinds on 0808 8025544 for support about school refusal.

The international new arrival team has been developed to identify barriers to accessing education and learning for the children and young people of refugees, including the vulnerable person resettlement program, asylum seekers and economic migrant families who have English as another language in kirklees. The team aims to support children and young people into a suitable education setting, dependant on the needs of the child or young person.

You can contact us for further discussions on or telephone on 01484221919

Last updated: 05/10/2020