Text size:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

For those over 16, Personal Independence Payments (PIP) are available and they replace DLA.  You do have to apply for PIP.

Young people claiming DLA will be invited to claim PIP after 16th birthday.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability. 

You must have a health condition where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months

You will be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. PIP is made up of 2 parts. Whether you get one or both of these and how much you’ll get depends on how severely your condition affects you. 

You can get PIP whether you are working or not and you must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached pension age.

PIP has two elements - daily living difficulties and mobility difficulties

Daily Living means you need help more than half of the time with things like:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing & undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing medicines/treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

Mobility means that you need help going out or moving around.

The weekly rate for the daily living part of PIP is either £59.70 or £89.15.

The weekly rate for the mobility part of PIP is either £23.60 or £62.25.

With any award of benefit you must report any changes of your circumstances as soon as they change.

Each year all benefits are subject to uprating in April, this means the amounts paid are increased. 

Please check (opens a new page) for more information

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

If you are terminally ill you will need to also speak to a doctor or healthcare professional for form DS1500, they will either fill it in and give it to you or send it to DWP directly.  You will not be asked to go to an assessment.

DWP - PIP claims


0800 917 2222


0800 917 7777

Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222

Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users will give you further insight into PIP and how it effects any other benefit you might be claiming.

If you have already made a claim for PIP and need to speak with someone about it then you can call the following number for help:

0800 121 4433

Last updated: 11/08/2020