Text size:

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You may get help with all or part of your rent. There’s no set amount of Housing Benefit and what you get will depend on whether you rent privately or from a council.

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you’re getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • you got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it
  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

To check eligibility and what you will get please go to

With any award of Benefit you must report any changes of your circumstances as soon as they change.

(all links open in new window)

Each year all benefits are subject to uprating in April, this means the amounts paid are increased.  Please check

You’ll need to provide some information and evidence to support your claim for Housing Benefit.

You’ll get Housing Benefit faster if you have this available when you make your claim.

You’ll need to know:

  • how much rent you pay
  • whether anything else is included in the rent, such as water, gas or electricity charges
  • if you pay any service charges, including building maintenance or insurance
  • your landlord or agent’s details

Evidence you’ll have to provide

You’ll need to provide original documents, not copies. The supporting evidence you’ll need includes:

  • your most recent payslips (5 if paid weekly, or 2 if paid monthly)
  • bank or building society statements for the last 2 full months
  • proof of other income or investments, including shares, ISAs or Premium Bonds
  • proof of income for any non-dependants living with you, such as adult relatives or friends

You’ll also need proof of your partner’s name and address. You cannot use the same document to prove both their name and address.

Provide any 2 of the following:

  • UK photocard driving licence
  • current passport
  • birth or marriage certificate
  • biometric residence permit
  • certificate of registration or naturalisation
  • permanent residence card
  • letter from HMRC or the Home Office
  • recent utility bill
  • recent bank or building society statement
  • recent benefit award statements

If you rent from a private landlord

You’ll also need to provide one of the following:

  • a tenancy agreement or rent book
  • a letter from your landlord confirming your tenancy - this is usually supplied at the start of your tenancy
Last updated: 11/08/2020