Text size:

Moving from children's social care to adult social care

Until the age of 18, services for children and young people with health and social care needs are provided by children's health and social care services.

From 18, support is provided by adult social services and will replace children's funding if the young person meets the set criteria.

Between the ages of 13 and 18, children will start a "transition" to adult services also know as  "Preparing for Adulthood".

We have a lot of information about Preparing for Adulthood, which is sometimes called PfA on the Local Offer.

The "What does preparing for adulthood (PfA) mean?" page explains how to process works as well as giving you links to guides and other documents about PfA.

PfA should involve all the services that support areas like:

  • Health and social care
  • Mental health
  • Education
  • Financial benefits for the young person and their family
  • Work
  • Housing

Planning for this transition should begin when a child is in Year 9 at school (13 or 14 years old) at the latest.

Who to speak with:

For under 18's, please call the Children’s Service’s Duty and Advice Team on 01484 456848.

For age 18 and over please call Gateway to Care on 01484 414933.

In order to receive social care support as an adult, the young person will need to have a care needs assessment.  Gateway to Care can give more information about this.  If the young person has SEND, then a learning disability diagnosis maybe needed. More detail is shown below. 

When a child or a young carer approaches their 18th birthday, If you want the council to arrange or pay towards your care you have to meet the National eligibility criteria. You will also need to have a care needs assessment (opens a new page) to help find out about your support needs.

Gateway to Care can help you with this and can be contacted on 01484 414933.

If you are eligible for social care support a financial assessment (opens a new page) will be carried out to determine how much you will need to pay towards your care, if anything. This has to be determined before you can be allocated a budget known as a 'Personal Budget'.

Before applying for a care needs assessment you should get a formal diagnosis for a learning disability. You can find more information on the Kirklees NHS adult learning disability health service page (opens a new page).

They can be contacted on:

Tel:  01924 316714


You can also speak with your GP about getting a learning disability diagnosis as well as going onto the GP's Learning Disability register.

  • GP's can use a form to identify if a young person should go on the GP's Learning Disability register.
  • If a young person is put onto this register it is not the the same as getting an LD diagnosis.  Access to LD services will be based on needs.  Your GP can explain this in more detail.

If you have social care needs, but do not have a formal learning disability diagnosis you can still contact Kirklees Council Gateway to Care to apply for a care needs assessment. The assessment will be completed or passed to the care management team for the area where you live.

You can contact Gateway to Care on 01484 414933.

Last updated: 14/12/2021

Useful links

Financial Assessment

Financial Assessment

Care needs assessment

Care needs assessment

Kirklees NHS adult learning disability health service

Kirklees NHS adult learning disability health service