Text size:

Moving on from education (including apprenticeships)

Please be aware that the COVID19 has meant that many employers cannot offer the range of apprenticeships and training they were able to offer previously

Supported internships 
Supported Internships

Supported internships are aimed at young people with a learning disability, aged 18 to 24
They support entry to employment, the internship is based mainly with an employer and usually lasts a year, the aim is that you will move into employment.

A supported internship is learning that is made up of an unpaid work placement of at least six months and study that, where possible, leads to a relevant qualification and includes the chance to improve your English and maths.

You must have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for learning difficulties to start a supported internship. They are available in Calderdale and Kirklees.

C&K Careers can support people with SEND to access Supported Internships.  More information can be found on the C&K Careers website (opens in new window).

These videos are about supported internships


These are training programmes to help young people aged 16 – 24 or aged 16 – 25 with an Education Health and Care Plan prepare for the world of work if they don’t already have the skills they need. Traineeships can last from six weeks up to a year and will include at least 70 hours work experience. Trainees are not paid but may be able to claim some expenses from the employer.


Apprenticeships are opportunities to learn about a job through paid employment in the job. Apprenticeships can last from one year to six years. As well as doing paid work, apprentices also have the opportunity to learn about the job and develop their skills. Apprenticeships are available to young people aged 16 upwards. 

The C+K Careers webpage can help you to look for apprenticeships. (link opens in a new window).

The way support works with apprenticeships can be very different depending on the apprenticeship.  If you attend college as part of the apprenticeship, support can be provided by the college.  Some employers will be able to provide some work based support too.

If you have an EHCP, then support through the EHCP will continue to be provided to the college or training provider.

Moving into higher education

If a young person is moving on from school or college to university, their Education Health and Care Plan will cease as there is different funding in universities, including Disabled Student Allowances. The young person’s school or college should work with the Local Authority and the university to make sure that the young person can make a smooth transition to the university and that they know how to claim funding and have their needs met. 

Please see moving from college to university

Last updated: 11/08/2020