Text size:

What about adults with learning disabilities and special needs?

More information about support for adults with learning difficulties and SEND can be found on the Adult Social Care Learning Disabilities page.
Click on the image below to open the page (opens a new page)

The Local Offer provides information, advice and guidance for those aged 0-25; however Kirklees continues to provide support for people with learning disabilities and/or special educational needs when they are adults.

Support for adults is provided by Kirklees Adult Social Care, who can provide support with various aspects of life including activities, support for daily living, adaptions and carer support.

If you have a learning disability or special educational needs and you are an adult and would like to know what support is available for you, please contact Gateway to care on 01484 414933 or visit the Contact adult social care services page of the Kirklees Council website (opens a new page).

The South West Yorkshire Partnership Foundation Trust (SWYPFT) has a range of services for adults with additional needs including (all links open a new page):

Please see their website (opens a new page) for more services for both adults and children.

Before applying for a care needs assessment you should get a formal diagnosis for a learning disability. You can find more information on the Kirklees NHS adult learning disability health service web page (opens a new page).

They can be contacted on 01924 316714 or you can email them at

You can also speak with your GP about getting a learning disability diagnosis as well as going onto the GP's Learning Disability register.

GPs can use a form to identify if a young person should go on the GP's Learning Disability register.  If a young person is put onto this register it is not the the same as getting an learning disability diagnosis. 

Access to learning disability services will be based on needs.  Your GP can explain this in more detail.

If you have social care needs, but don't have a formal learning disability diagnosis you can still contact Kirklees Council Gateway to Care to apply for a care needs assessment. The assessment will be completed or passed to the care management team for the area where you live.

You can contact Gateway to Care on 01484 414933.

Last updated: 30/11/2021