Latest Covid-19 information
Blue badge scheme
Blue Badges are for drivers, passengers or children with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind. The scheme allows badge holders to access goods, services and facilities, which they would otherwise be unable to, by allowing them to park closer to their destination. The scheme applies only to on-street parking.
Having a certain condition or disability does not mean you will be awarded a Blue Badge. Each application will be considered on an individual case-by-case basis.
In all cases, the purpose of issuing a Badge is to enable the applicant to undertake journeys that would not otherwise be possible, or which are only possible with very considerable difficulty.
A person is automatically eligible for a badge if they are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria. Proof that they meet the criteria must be provided.
- High Rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Registered as severely sight impaired (blind)
- War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Lump sum benefit armed forces and reserved forces compensation scheme
- Terminal Illness and not expected to live more than 6 months
A person who doesn't meet the above criteria may still qualify if one of the following apply:
- Enduring and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking from a vehicle to your destination
- Enduring and substantial disability which causes you to experience very considerable psychological distress, or be at risk of serious harm, or pose a risk of serious harm to any other person when walking from a vehicle to your destination (you have a hidden disability)
- Regularly drives a vehicle and has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate or has considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of on-street parking equipment.
- Child under 3 years old who must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment
- Child under 3 years old who needs to be kept near a vehicle at all times