A person is automatically eligible for a badge if they are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria. Proof that they meet the criteria must be provided.
- High Rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Registered as severely sight impaired (blind)
- War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- Lump sum benefit armed forces and reserved forces compensation scheme
- Terminal Illness and not expected to live more than 6 months
A person who doesn't meet the above criteria may still qualify if one of the following apply:
- Enduring and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking from a vehicle to your destination
- Enduring and substantial disability which causes you to experience very considerable psychological distress, or be at risk of serious harm, or pose a risk of serious harm to any other person when walking from a vehicle to your destination (you have a hidden disability)
- Regularly drives a vehicle and has a severe disability in both arms and is unable to operate or has considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of on-street parking equipment.
- Child under 3 years old who must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment
- Child under 3 years old who needs to be kept near a vehicle at all times