Text size:

Alternative Provision (AP)

Local Authorities must provide education for children and young people who have been permanently excluded or who are too ill to attend school for some time.

Schools have a duty to provide education for children and young people from the sixth day of a fixed term exclusion. Sometimes schools also need off-site education to help children and young people improve their behaviour or deal with their anxiety. Alternative provision may be used for the education of these children and young people. 

The Department for education (DfE) have issued some guidance about Alternative Provision (DFE Guidance), (opens new page)

Alternative provision offers comprise a curriculum and approaches that re-engage learners with education and which meet their needs, as well as helping them to prepare to go back to school or prepare them for adulthood. For young people with an EHCP, a permanent move to alternative provision should be done with a review of the EHCP to name the new provision. 

Schools and the local authority may also use alternative provisions in neighbouring areas if appropriate: details of these will be found in the Local Offers for those areas.

In Kirklees, the Alternative Providers are

For more information around referral routes please see the information below.

How to Access Alternative Provisions

Schools or the Local Authority are responsible for making referrals to Alternative Providers.

The DFE Vision for Alternative Provision explains the governments vision for how they would like AP's to work.

Last updated: 29/09/2020

Useful links

Ethos Academy

Ethos Academy Trust

TAO Activities

TAO Activities

Pivot Academy

Pivot Academy

Brian Jackson College

Brian Jackson College

Employability Solutions

Employment Solutions