Text size:

Independent living

Young people with special educational needs and disabilities may find it hard to have a home of their own when they become and adult.  Most adults with learning disabilities live with their families however at some point they could also decide to live more independently and leave the family home, which lots more people with a learning disability are now choosing to do.

Within Kirklees there are a number of places that can offer help.

There is a lot of useful information on the Kirklees Council website about:

  • council housing
  • local housing associations
  • local private landlords and the accredited landlord scheme
  • local care homes
  • adaptations and grants
  • ways of buying property, shared ownership (Homebuy)
  • home care
  • assistive technology / carephones
  • search for care homes and support services on NHS choices
  • Getting an assessment
  • Kirklees Council Shared Lives service
  • Kirklees Council Supporting People  Team and local Supporting People services
  • Kirklees Council Care Navigation Team for direct payments and using personal assistants.
  • Benefits, information and much more.

You can also go to the customer service centres in Dewsbury and Huddersfield (click on these for maps of where they are).

There is a lot of information about housing on the Kirklees Learning Disabilities housing pages

Lots of information can be found in this guide called Home of My Own.

If you have a learning disability and require care and support but do not have a social worker or care manager and you want to discuss making changes to your housing and support please contact Kirklees Council Gateway to care on 01484 414933.

Gateway to care is the first point of contact to all care and support services for people with learning disabilities in Kirklees. They will help you get started if you  want to make changes to where and how you live and the support you get. They will direct you to the information and help that you need. They can also arrange assessments of your housing and support needs by referring you to Kirklees care
management teams.

To find out more call Gateway to care on 01484 414933, email or visit your local Gateway to care office.

Choose ’n’ move is the way to get a council house in Kirklees. Council and some housing association properties are advertised online. Once you have applied online to be a member, you can bid on the properties you like. Completing a Housing Action Plan (HAP) will give you other options based on your needs. There are two choose ‘n’ move self service areas in Kirklees where you can look at property adverts, use the website or speak to someone about choose ‘n’ move. For further information on choose ‘n’ move call 01484 416900.

You can also do this at the customer service centres in Dewsbury and Huddersfield (click on these for maps of where they are).

Connect to Support Kirklees is a website for people looking for adult social care services, advice and support. You can find everything you need to help you, from local to national products and services, as well as links to information, specialist advice, local activities and community groups.

This link takes you to the connect to support website (opens in a new window).

Kirklees has produced a guide called “a home of my own”, this is the adult social care guide to independent living - link opens in a new window.

The pack includes:

  • Really useful contact details
  • Information on accommodation options in Kirklees for people with disabilities
  • Information on how to get your care and support needs assessed

These factsheets have been written to tell people with disabilities and their carers about the different housing and support options available in Kirklees.

At some point in your life you may decide you want to leave your family home and live more independently.

We want to tell you about your choices and what you need to think about like:

  • where you want to live;
  • who you want to live with; and
  • how you will be supported.

Have a look at the information and think about what is best for you.

It is always best to start planning and working with us as soon as possible because finding and arranging suitable accommodation can take a long time.

My housing plan may help you to think about the housing and support you need now or in the future.

We hope you find this information useful.

Last updated: 16/09/2020

Useful links

Preparing for Adulthood

Preparing for adulthood

HFT - Housing Help

HFT Housing