Text size:

Independent educational settings outside of Kirklees (Section 41 Approved Schools)

For some children/young people with SEND, schools in Kirklees may not be able to meet their individual needs.

Some Independent Special Schools and Colleges have been approved under Section 41 of the Children’s and Families Act 2014 (opens new page).

Where appropriate, an Independent Special School or College can be named in an EHC plan at the request of a parent/carer or young person.

This means parents or young people have a right to request this type of school is named in an EHC plan in the same way they can request a maintained school.

In line with the SEND Code of Practice (opens new page) the local authority will consider requests made by a parent/carer or young person and name the Independent Special School or College on the EHC plan unless:

  • It is unsuitable to the child / young person's age, aptitude or SEN
  • It is incompatible with the efficient education of others or the efficient use of resources

These schools have been approved under section 41 of this act and a list of all approved schools is published by the government, this can be found in the Section 41 Approved providers list (opens new page).

Natspec can also provide a list of approved schools and can search by map, this can be found on the Natspec website (opens new page).

C&K Careers can also provide advice on what independent settings are available, contact details can be found on the C&K Careers information page (opens new page).

The Local Offer school search will also show you what independent schools and settings there are within travelling distance from Kirklees.

Last updated: 29/09/2020