Text size:

What do I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs (support from schools)

Please click on this image (opens a PDF in a new page) which explains what to do if you think your child may have special educational needs.

The information is also explained below.

If you have read the information on the Local Offer and think that your child may have SEND, look at information on how children get support in school:

The support every child should receive 

How children get the help they need to in school

If you have concerns about the support that school are putting in place the next step is to speak with your child’s school or health visitor.

If your child is in a school or nursery, they may offer you the opportunity to speak to someone in school who specialises in SEND, called the SENCO.

Your child’s setting will decide what level of support your child may need.  This could be from the teacher (such as in the way they work with your child or present information), additional support staff, or by getting advice from external professionals such as:

The setting may decide to create a special plan to describe what your child finds hard and what help they need in the setting.  These can be simple documents such as an Individual Education Plan (IEP), Additional Needs Plan (ANP), provision map, or more detailed document such as an My Support Plan (this is generally used for more complex needs).

Support plans in school

It is really important that parents & carers are included at all stages when deciding what support your child needs.

The setting will review the support plan they have put in place and decide if they need to change anything. 

They may decide to reduce the support if your child is making progress or may decide to increase it if your child is not making progress.

If the school feels that they have tried a lot of different ways to support your child, they may suggest applying for an Education, Health & Support Plan (EHCP).

If you feel that your child is not getting the support they need, you can get help from various support groups who can offer you independent advice.

Last updated: 29/11/2021